Friday, October 21, 2005

Songs (Protest and Otherwise)

Last Saturday, at the Annual Scout Jamboree Day, there was karaoke action on the PS2 and one of the available songs was A-ha's seminal pop hit, "Take On Me". Surprisingly, I had to push for its first play (probably not a song from the average scout's era, to be fair), but once they'd heard the music that will surely one day become their national anthem, they knew they'd struck oil. Rich, eighties oil with a then-groundbreaking video and still-hyperactive synth solo. The tune endured numerous plays that day. What a coincidence then, that when I took the train to Bergen on Wednesday evening I was shown a sculpture and sometime fountain designed by Morten Harket, lead singer of A-ha!

Marthe did quite well to hide her immense pride as she pointed it out. Scandinavian cool. At the time I was queuing up with a few of the youth from Arna to get into a free Kings of Convenience gig. Kings of Convenience are probably Norway's most successful indie duo, sound very much like Simon and Garfunkle and are comprised of Napoleon Dynamite and Frodo Baggins, as this picture goes some way to prove.

The gig was free because it was being held in protest against the infamous Clear Channel Outdoor's recent attempts to have adverts allowed at Norwegian bus stops. However, the Ringbearer said that the Kings of Convenience weren't there to protest, but to celebrate in anticipation of it not going ahead. Norway is hilarious.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tim Lovell said...

You can see why they put Napoleon at the back. Sounds like you're fitting in well. Got in to any Eoro-dance yet?

Friday, 21 October, 2005  
Blogger Tim Lovell said...

Oh yeah, and have you seen Jon's post about Shining? I told him about the other ones too.

Speaking this Sunday about Peter. Should be interesting...

Friday, 21 October, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

Yeah, I saw it. I'ce linked to his blog now since he came over to my place and said hello. Next thing I knew I was one of The Amigos (albeit the 20th one). Suddenly, I'm in seventh place, well in with a shout for a european spot.

Have you seen the acclaim I've collated? Scroll down and look left.

Napoleon Dynamite was actually a bit of a Jarvis Cocker-style comedian, doing a spot of ironic dancing etc. I didn't know what he was saying but they were all cracking up at that too. I gather his bizarre sense of humour is renowned.

For one song they asked if there was a drummer in the house. I bottled it.

Friday, 21 October, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to say even though it may boost your alredy out of caontrol ego (maybe thats a bit harsh but I think it sounds good (and I asked someone and they said go ahead)) but I am really enjoying your posts and the blog does look nice.
I went to a rock concert yesterday which was really good, my friends played.
I am quite dissapointed with your score on the quiz, I'll maybe tell you more when Tim has done it (at least your prompt)
I like your Bob Dylan lookie likeness and it's nice to be able to hear about how your gatting on.

Read about you soon :D

Sam

Saturday, 22 October, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

Thanks. Mostly. Glad you're enjoying it, at least... And I've added your comments to the famous hall of acclaim.

Did you work out when might be a good time for you to visit here?

Sunday, 23 October, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home