Thursday, July 20, 2006

I'll Be Gone In A Day Or Twooo...

"And now, the end is here
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I traveled each and ev'ry highway
And more, much more than this, I did it in Norway"
So sang Frank Sinatra in the original, long-lost recording of My Way, before super-producer Bruce Dickinson suggested a lyric change to make the song less location-specific. Dickinson also demanded more cowbell.

Truly, the end is here. The big countdown clock ticks on, watched by thousands upon thousands, all over the world, holding hands, probably. My bags are packed save for a toothbrush I'll use in the morning and a sleeping bag I'm ready for now; and the house is wonderfully tidy (big, big thanks to Marthe Rosenvinge). All that remains is to finish this post that has been called for by all of one email. This one's for you, Dad.

I'm a mix of emotions: looking forward to seeing you English people that I've missed, sad to say goodbye to Arna, still slightly stressed from the last minute packing and cleaning, and sinnsykt sad to say goodbye to my Arnian and Bergenser friends. Beneath all of the more temporary feelings though, I could barely be more satisfied with the ten months I've spent here, the friends and the difference I've been able to make, how my life and myself have changed. More on those things when I get the chance to write some kind of hilarious-yet-moving Review of the Year - I probably need a bit of time to reflect. The Lake District should be just the place for that kind of thinking. I'm there next week to drum but it will conveniently serve as a gentle weaning alternative to the cold Norway turkey of immediate London.

So anyway, I suppose this may well be the penultimate post of the blog.
I might keep on writing about my adventures beyond Norway though. I suppose it all depends on how interesting my life turns out to be. After all, in the words of Jacques-Yves Cousteau:
"When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself."
Det er
:
"Får man muligheten til å leve et uvanlig liv, har man plikt til å dele det."
I wouldn't like to disagree with the great man. So see you soon, England. Vi snakkes, Norge.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, first comment.

Dan, your blog has been amazing over the last 10 months; it feels like I too have experienced a bit of Norway with you. Your blogging skills definitely outshine mine, and please do continue to post your insightful and comedic thoughts even after returning to England.

See you at Revive!

Tim

Thursday, 20 July, 2006  
Blogger Jon said...

If you quit, you will be missed.

Sunday, 23 July, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dan..
I hope you won't stop blogging! I like reading your posts, and I guess I would apreciate it even more now you've left the country. hope everything goes well!

See ya, mate

Sunday, 23 July, 2006  
Blogger Dan said...

Thanks you three, your love and support at this time means a lot to me.

Continuing would raise some issues - do I start a new blog? Same blog, new title? Same blog, same title? And something's got to be done about the now-reverse countdown clock...

But in the last week I just got four hits from South America - a continent that I had never previously broken into - so maybe I should keep it going to satisfy my Latino fans.

Tuesday, 01 August, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home