Sunday, October 23, 2005

Amen, Amen, Lego Humin

To say that I've experienced a language barrier in Norway would probably be a slight oversatement. Possibly more like a steep language curb, I reckon. Most people here are fluent in english (even if they almost all tell themselves that they know next to nothing of the language) with only the very young and the very old being hard to talk to. However, my lack of Norwegian is a slight problem during meetings. I can't expect the whole church to speak english on Sunday mornings just to make it easier on me. I've asked them and they said no. I accept their decision. So tomorrow I'm catching the train to Bergen again to sign up for Norwegian lessons at a school for foreigners entering the country. Apparently they assess you as to whether you should be in the slow, medium or fast group based partly on how you've managed learning other languages. I'll be taking along my New Testament Greek pass certificate, for sure.
Unfortunately, I don't know how long it will be until I can start my lessons as they have to wait for the course to be filled up before it goes ahead. So if you wouldn't mind praying that things get a move on, I'd be most grateful. There's been talk of getting me a Learn Norwegian CD-ROM but other than that my only current aids are a phrase book (thanks go out to Tim Stone) and some infants picture books. That's not a joke.
Amen, amen, lego humin... I have, clearly, still got it. But please, for the sake of consistency, may all comments on this post be made in English. Thank you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Hey mate, had a great projector moment last night when the norwegian translation of Great is Thy Faithfulness included the exact phrase "signing for barnet"! I think it means something about blessings for children but obviously just made me think of some player joining the league two side...

Monday, 24 October, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try learning some norweigan pop lyrics and then casually adding them into conversation, as a throw away comment. It's bound to attract attention if nothing else.

Monday, 24 October, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

Yes! I'm sure there must be a website with translated eurovision lyrics... But have you ever read the lyrics to Take On Me? The Karaoke version really revealed what a nonsense they are... Video was class though, obviously.

Tuesday, 25 October, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home