Thursday, February 09, 2006

I Love the Smell of Beef in the Morning

As I cycled home tonight, I realised that I have changed since I came to Norway. This thought occurred to me when I noticed that I wasn't feeling incredibly sick due to physical exertion. Actually, the very fact that the notion struck me was an encouragement; normally at that stage in the journey I'd be scanning for houses of people I know that might be persuaded to run me home in the car. Or cars of people I don't know, for stealing. A year of Radical Network, involving much sitting and only time for the odd run around the park with Chris and his throbbing knees, left me in poor form.

Today however, my form is indefatigably good. Along with all the uphill cycling, I put this down to good Norwegian food. On Sunday I feasted on wild elk, on Monday and Tuesday enjoyed some delicious salmon and yesterday partook of the great and ancient food of viking kings - beef and red pepper lasagne. There is a lot more home cooking over here, from the youngest to the oldest; ten-year-old Simen often gets home from school and rustles up what I can honestly say are the best brownies I can remember tasting.

The Norse do have one secret weapon though. Produced in Arna's Toro factory are a wide variety of stocks, powders, soups and flavourings. They are not only the cook's best friend but also the reason that the area surrounding the fjord frequently smells of meat. Strolling back from the station, it's no surprise to be greeted by the potent and inescapable waft of roast beef crisps or cream of chicken soup. While it's certainly not so welcome as the fresh, Scandinavian air my lungs usually trade in these days, I remind myself of the Greenwich brewery, inhale deeply and give thanks.

18 Comments:

Blogger Tim Lovell said...

Elk is one thing that I would like to taste. But I get the feeling that I wont be able to buy it at the local Londis or anything. And even with Jamies influence, I doubt that Sainsburys stock it

Friday, 10 February, 2006  
Blogger Jon said...

Great use of the word 'indefatigable'. I take it you too looked it up after reading that infamous quote, 'Sir, I salute your strength, your courage and your indefatigability'. Galloway for PM!

Friday, 10 February, 2006  
Blogger Dan said...

The elk was so good, one of the best meats ever, I now believe.

Word, Tim. They'd have to start a new section that goes beyond organic. I'd like to see a "Killed Wild" aisle in Tesco's...

Jon, I used indefatigable after watching the timeless and classic movie Hook that afternoon! "What have I done? What have I done, Smee? Agreed to a preposterous plan, an absurd war. Now I'm bound by my indefatigable good form to wait."

Captain James Hook has some outstanding quotes, usually involving the word form. For example: "Hear me, men. For reasons of good form, I have decided that the so-called Pan will return in three days to commit the abitriment of the sword. Smee, translate."

Saturday, 11 February, 2006  
Blogger Tim Lovell said...

Happy Birthday Brah. I'm speaking to you at the moment. Peace out

Monday, 13 February, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRHTDAY!! Gratulerer med dagen, Dan!

Love, Norway

Monday, 13 February, 2006  
Blogger Dan said...

Thanks Angi!

Yes Tim, thanks for calling. Really looking forward to the Finse trip. Will do my best to borrow some wool underwear before Thursday...

And thank you too, Marthe. This evening was really great, I had no idea that you were all planning it!

Tuesday, 14 February, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, [late] Happy Birthday Dan! You're 23 now, yes?

Wednesday, 15 February, 2006  
Blogger Dan said...

Cheers, Tim. Yeah, I'm twenty three, the same age that Jehoahaz began his three month reign in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Hamutal the daughter of Jeremiah of Libnah.

Wednesday, 15 February, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your birthdays stands upon on a great day, with Valentines and Birthday cards flooding in the door like a tidal surge up the Thames. But i'm sure you didn't receive a Valentine's book like mine, let me quote ' during the 15th and 16th centuries the infant mortality rate was extremely high because of the rigours of chiuldbirth, malnutrition and successive plagues'....a selection from my gift 'Discovering Brasses and brass rubbing' [revised edn], and who says romance is dead!

Wednesday, 15 February, 2006  
Blogger Dan said...

I got no Valentines this year. It was all part of my plan. Move to Norway, keep the address on a need to know basis and avoid legal action from disc-slipped postmen.

Does it feel as unnerving as I'd imagine to be stalked by Joe?

Wednesday, 15 February, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm telling you, it brings a whole new level to stalking. He is playing mind games, for example he posts a variety of sizes of ratchet sockets through my door, it's intimidation maximised...

Friday, 17 February, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on Dan! where are these blog entries.... it's march! :-)

Wednesday, 01 March, 2006  
Blogger Dan said...

Two seconds!

Thursday, 02 March, 2006  
Blogger jodes da princess said...

what is an elk?

Sunday, 05 March, 2006  
Blogger Tim Lovell said...

Ice, rain, snow, fog, come on Dan and give us a blog!

I believe and Elk is a bit like a moose, from the deer family.

Tuesday, 07 March, 2006  
Blogger Dan said...

Yeah, that's about as much as I could tell you about elk. Big and like a moose.

There's a blog in the process of being written at the moment, I realise it may all be a bit ancient history by the time it's online but what can you do? I'm spending all my free time on this scout video edit...

Tuesday, 07 March, 2006  
Blogger Dan said...

Er... Couldn't get past level three. Poor form, I know. It must be the left side of my brain. Or the right. Or both.

Monday, 13 March, 2006  
Blogger Dan said...

Ah, yes. No. I mean I got to level four then. I know I got past that one with the flashing word. Then there was a Google search bar and I didn't know how I could possibly go on like that.

Saturday, 18 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home