Saturday, December 10, 2005

The Latest

This post has been a long time coming, but it's been hard to find the time to blog lately. As well as all the usual activities, I've had more school work and revision to do. I also went on a weekend away with the Rovers, the oldest scouts, which involved such big fun as cooking hotdogs in the snow and being woken up at three in the morning for a wide game. The early wake-up was no bother at all because Øyvind and I won. Going on the trip meant that I sadly missed most of Simen's tenth birthday celebrations. I did, however, give him a football which he described (in Norwegian) as "the perfect present". I had no idea when I gave it to him, but one week earlier his last football met its end under a car. So that worked out well. Yes, times have been busy.

They'll be less busy in my final fortnight before a seasonal return to England as I am done with school. The four weeks of lessons the church bought for me are up, ending with a test of the first five chapters, which I thought was easy, although I will possibly never know my result. Church activities are also winding either up or down; the final Casa Feliz of the year was yesterday, the last normal scout meeting the day before that and KKU will finish for Christmas on Tuesday. And now the weather.

It hadn't rained for a little while but today's unceasing downpour made up for that. This is good news for cycling as the last bit of ice on the roads has been washed away but bad news for Sam and Lucie who had got their hopes up for snow when they visit next week. As I made it clear time and again, the weather will almost certainly be wet and cold - but not cold enough for snow.

My english visitors can look forward to Sunday's scout activities though, carrying blazing torches up a hill together with two hundred or so others. At the walk's end, we will gather around a stage the Rovers half-built today and will finish this week. I was both impressed and amused as I watched them construct the thing. I just couldn't imagine Sarah and Chelle from New Life happily nailing a wall together in the driving rain, in the middle of a wood. But then again, Silje and Sveinung probably wouldn't even know where to begin a happy-slap.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am still hoping for snow Dan.. don't let me down ;) but more than that I hope I am just ok, I got home at 2 from Xfm and I was completely wrecked the day after and now I am just unwell :(, Editors were the best by the way :D

Tuesday, 13 December, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

I think they already have a Happy Slap equivalent over here, Joe. I was watching some downhill skiing this weekend (yeah, for about three minutes - nobody was crashing!) and before they launched themselves he skiers were alll having their upper thighs massaged by a nearby gentleman. Maybe he was their physio, maybe just a chancer.

Sam, I bet the Editors were pretty intense, weren't they? I look forward to hearing all about it. But pull yourself together man, we've much to do in just four days. Go and eat an orange or something.

Joe, you're a doctor - what should Sam do when he has been "completely wrecked" and is now "just unwell"? And don't tell me you're "not that kind of doctor"; I don't want to hear it.

Wednesday, 14 December, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...sorry, but are you saying I should share my illness? I don't think that would be the nicest thing to do!

Wednesday, 14 December, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

Sam, it's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart. Just get yourself to a field in Hampshire, shut up and dance.

Wednesday, 14 December, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan, it's great to hear that football is such a great present to recieve internationally too! Although I can't help but wonder if it was maybe you that destroyed the ball just a week previous to his birthday!?!

I have a question? If you were to separate U2, Coldplay, Chilli peppers, Jet, Oasis, Athlete, Maroon 5, Razorlight, Radiohead, Kasabian and Snow patrol ito 2 groups. What would they be? (Not good and rubbish)

Sam, i love you dude, but just pull yourself together! Tim gets by on just 2 hours sleep!

Wednesday, 14 December, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

Lee, you present both an outrageous accusation (regarding football sabotage) and an interesting challenge. Of course, my instinctive reaction is to try and place the bands in order of my personal preference but as you've ruled that out I had to think a bit...

I thought about separating them by how new they were or by where they're from (you could have 6 English and 5 non-English); even how many members were in the group. Eventually, I opted to split them in terms of celebrity status. That is, does the band contain at least one member that the average man on the street has a chance of knowing the name of (Group A), or are they more known as a collective (Group B)?

Group A: U2, Oasis, Coldplay, Radiohead, RHCP.

Group B: Jet, Athlete, Maroon 5, Razorlight, Kasabian, Snow Patrol.

I think that way of splitting them is slightly rubbish actually, there must be a better way... What is this in aid of? Rearranging your CD rack?

Wednesday, 14 December, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are excellent suggestions Dan.
I have recently, a longish story, managed to get an i-pod nano and am struggling with separating those particular bands into genres.
If i were to be really lazy, which i have been, i could loosely label them as 'rock'.
But this has left me with a huge rock section and feeling as though i have cheated the bands in some way.
I would appreciate any further suggestions, thanks.

Thursday, 15 December, 2005  
Blogger Tim Lovell said...

Good stuff Dan. I like the idea of arranging ones ipod tracks in order of celebrity status. "Erm, I feel like listening to some mildly famous musicians today", or "I really fancy some total unheard of". Could catch on.

Vikki gave me a merrabit a couple of days ago. I hated it. So I did one back.

Joe, as any good doctor should know, its Happy Hardcore that is the true cure for societies ills. Just throw on that flurescent tank top, and the glo sticks and we'll be on our way...

Thursday, 15 December, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

Right, right, now I see what you're getting at Lee. I thought it was a totally abstract question at first. Of course forming clear-cut genres (is that the plural of genre?) is a tricky business, but if I had to do so, this is how I'd do it:

ROCK: RHCP, Jet, Oasis, Kasabian, Razorlight, U2.

INDIE: Coldplay, Radiohead, Athlete, Snow Patrol.

I know it's not the truest definition of indie, but it is what the word has come to mean... I'm not sure where Maroon 5 fit in, so maybe you can just delete them forever. You'll thank me one day.

Tim, I know for a fact that Les Dennis arranges his ipod by level of celebrity. It's the future. But I'm sorry to hear that the merrabit wars have begun between you two...

Thursday, 15 December, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home