Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Good Times

Perhaps it's time for a brief update: my texts to John Håvard are significantly improved. They take far less time to write and are certainly less surreal in use of Norwegian. I feel this is a good sign that the lessons are working. At school on Monday we were taught that the word for "extreme weather" is "ekstremvar" and that the phrase "det regner mye i dag" means "it rains much today". That is one observational conversation piece that I could have done with over the last couple of weeks - it would have got a lot of usage, that's for sure. This November has been raining like the clouds are going for a place in the Guiness Book. They're on their way too, as the record rainfall for the month has almost been broken on the sixteenth. The heaviest rain started on Sunday evening, during Anita's baptism. The storm just didn't give up for twenty four hours. It was getting ridiculous; going to school dressed like I'm headed for an arctic quest.

Tuesday morning was better though, just clear and cold. I missed my train and went into the shop inside the station for a minute. When I came out it had all gone dark. Confused for a second, I looked over towards the edge of the sheltered platform... Gutted. Another storm and a ten minute walk from the station wondering how my slightly sketchily waterproof bag is coping with the downpour. But hold on a second, I'm not sure that's rain, it's SNOW - Alright! The good old white stuff continued to fall for most of the rest of the day and was still at it by the time I went to sleep.

If I had the technology to place a photo on here, I'd love to. Then you could see how pretty the whole place has become - even more so than usual. Naturally, Sigur Ros have been on heavy rotation in the CD player; the combination of sound and scenery is hard to beat. It's also good to see pensioners not giving in to a bit of ice on the pavement; coming out with their ski poles to take on the weather. Best of all, though, was that there was enough snow for a sledge session tonight. Some of the sledges are hilarious contraptions including steering, brakes and front suspension. The brakes remained unused. We did a pretty exciting hill run a few times and then hit the road, which was mostly ice, for some high speed pursuits in which John Håvard was closer to getting run over than I'd like him to be. It was great fun, as you can imagine. The evening also provided me with the first opportunity to make use of all my New Life gifts at once. Not only were the hat and gloves where they always are (on my head and hands, respectively), but I also sported both pairs of ski socks at the same time. Thanks, Ichthus New Life - I didn't get cold.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, snow!... I'm jealous, nothing like a bit of the white stuff to make you come over all Christamssy. Are you feeling at all that way inclined yet? I have ever since coming back from America in Sept. All of a sudden I traded sunny summery nights until 9ish, for dark at around 5 (and now earlier!) and that transition took place in a day! That did it for me and I've had my winter cds warming up my ears from then on. Obviously my collection differs somewhat from yours, with a bit of Faith Hill and Lucy Silvas peppering the mix, along with new addition: Chris and Jen - 'Emmanuel' - now officially a winter-listener! (Guys, I love it!)

A la prochaine...

Thursday, 17 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan, I told my class about the snow you are experiencing and they are so jealous. As usual there were a couple of doughnuts (teacher term) who thought i said that it would snow from Sunday onwards and have been driving me mad since.

Sigur Ros!!! Dude, I agree Quality winter music.

Vikki, I also have to agree with Emmanuel it's excellent.

Thursday, 17 November, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

Vik, although I'm not sure I could dig Faith Hill I'm definately with you on the premature Christmas atmosphere. Norway seriously doesn't help what with the snow, evergreens, dark days, log fires and a national obsession with candles.

Welcome, Lee! All first-time comments receive a firm Dan In Norway handshake... Speaking of teachers, I had a substitute lærer (as they say) today who helpfully refused to speak anything but Norwegian when explaining brand new grammar to us. Thanks.

But good to hear we're all loving Emmanuel and mostly loving Sigur Ros.

Thursday, 17 November, 2005  
Blogger Tim Lovell said...

Funnily enough I heard a rumour that Lee had been refusing to speak to his kids in anything but Norwegian too. Funny that.

No young Victoria, there is surely nothing better than a good old Elvis' Christmas LP. I think however that I should win the prize for getting in to the festive spirit earliest. I bought the 'Cool Christmas' CD way back in March (I think). It was on sale, so I thought that I'd get in early to avoid that Christmas rush. It seems to get earlier every year...

Friday, 18 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Handshake much appreciated, although I wish you had worn your gloves. Those hands are FREEZING.

As for speaking Norwegian to my class, I'm just about managing the English!

I have just about had enough of carols in school already (songs not girls) Can you recommend anything to freshen up the Christmas tunes in school?
Not Elvis Tim!

Friday, 18 November, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

Good to see you're still alive, Tim. And your blog isn't exploding all over the place anymore - they fixed the glitch in the Matrix...

Lee. Cold? Let me tell you, I cycled home from church last night and my back gears were frozen solid - they wouldn't change! I was stuck in a ridiculously low gear, pedalling like a hyperactive Lance Armstrong to go about 8mph...

As far as Christmas music goes, Noel Gallagher did a really good, relaxed cover of Slade's 'Merry Xmas Everybody' that is always a winner. It's just him, an acoustic guitar and some sleigh bells (and maybe some keys...)

Friday, 18 November, 2005  
Blogger Tim Lovell said...

Dan, I've just found my dream guitar. I don't know what it sounds like, or what it costs. I know that it will have to be shipped from Australia, but I've gotta have it.

The guitars are called Lovell guitars, and they're all handmade by Tim Lovell! How awesome is that. I'm a Christian songwriter, guitar maker, hockey player- I've got the coolest name in the world.

Maybe I should email songwriter Tim and tell him...

Sunday, 20 November, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

I had a look - I bet they sound like a dream...

Is this Tim Lovell-spotting hobby of yours going to explode to Dave Gorman levels of obsession?

Like the new wallpaper on the blog...

Sunday, 20 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who else thinks that Tim's 'Cool Christmas' cd (bought back in March) was in fact a significantly late purchase for the Christmas before, rather than an early one for 2005?

But babe, you were right about Elvis, nothing like his crooning to bring about a snowy one. And if we're talking about the BEST, Mr Bing has to get a mention. Never gets old.

Monday, 21 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also Lee, regarding freshening up Christmas tunes - the 'Love Actually' soundtrack has some great ones, really everyone, it does!

Monday, 21 November, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

Bing Crosby?

Dingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingding!

That's our top answer, Vikki. Crosby is King of Christmas songs; that is so good it should have been my suggestion...

Monday, 21 November, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home