Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Weather and Sausage Report

Yesterday was a pretty stormy one, and the first fall of sleet. It fell hard and when it wasn't there was plenty of rain to do the same. Thankfully, Anne Brit offered me and Martin a lift to KKU. KKU is the name of the Tuesday night church youth group and stands for the Norwegian for "Coolest Night of the Week." After the meeting the youth worship group had a practice and I stayed around as I've just taken on the role of helping them along. I am essentially Obi Wan Kenobi. Or Gandalf, if you like. But those old guys never rocked the bass guitar! Oh no. The group didn't have a bass player and so I'm winging it until they find one or I attain enough skill to not need to wing it. Jesse, Sammy, Rob - watch your backs. The main song we played last night was a Norwegian translation of the song "Ancient of Days", made famous by Ron Kenoly's "Lift Him Up" video, a film of live worship from somewhere in America. For the concerts, Kenoly had assembeled an astounding array of Christian musical talent including percussionist Alex Acuña and, almost outrageously, Second Chapter of Acts' Matthew Ward on backing vocals. I did my best to emulate the unforgettable bass player, surely the highlight of Ron's band for anyone who's seen the performance...

Before KKU (which is one letter away from being a distinctly less cool club) I ate with the family. Not Ron Kenoly's family, of course, but the Dalseths, who I live with. When I wrote about how Norwegians peel potatoes at the table I had no idea that just over a week later I would be sat at the dinner table peeling a rather large hot dog sausage. But that is the very thing that I was doing and I learned that it takes no small amount of skill to skin a hot dog cleanly. The most profound lesson I've learned, however, is that when in Norway, never accept a "merrabitt" when offered. It translates as "the bite of a female horse" and involves the perpetrator grabbing a fistful of the victim's inner thigh, as hard as his strength allows. It's less than pleasant and I bet they don't put that information in the "Lonely Planet" books.

14 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

Sounds nasty. Do you get the chance to eat many kebabs in Norway?

Wednesday, 26 October, 2005  
Blogger Tim Lovell said...

Ooooh. I like the sound of a merrabit! Who did it to you? Was it some scruffy Norwegian tyke from your youth group? Hope you put him back in line.

Hope stuffs still going well for you out there. Nearly got swindled out of £130 by a Chinese rogue ebay trader. Got to him just in time though. So I sent him an email saying that he needed to find Jesus.

Trev and Ki's wedding this weekend too, just so you know.

Thursday, 27 October, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

Jon: I've not come across any kebabs yet but if you're after waffles, brown cheese and plenty of fish, they're certainly on the menu. Not all separately, either.

But when's your next post? In line with the latest books I've been reading, I want to see one one

a) The trinity
b) The quest for the historical Jesus
c) Bob Dylan


Tim: Sadly, I received the merrabitt not from some slappable elf but from my good friend Torbjørn. It's not the first prank he's pulled, let me tell you.

Glad you were wise to the swine on ebay, stay sharp (unless dealing with the lovely Ichthus Media Services, of course). I find Amazon marketplace to be less shady too.

Congratulations to Trev and Ki; they have my blessing.

Thursday, 27 October, 2005  
Blogger Jon said...

I've been very busy recently, and blogging has therefore suffered. Will be posting after the weekend (trev and Ki's wedding).

Maybe there is a market niche there to be exploited. Everyone loves a good kebab.

Thursday, 27 October, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hei Dan. Like your blog. Be careful with what you're writing now that we've got the address. Torbjørn might become sad if he hears that you didn't enjoy his merrabitt you know. Btw, we've got places to by first-rate kebabs all over Bergen.
-Guds velsignelse-

Monday, 31 October, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

DAN IN NORWAY - Uniting kebab-lovers across the seas...

Right, I'm off to Hermon to a prayer and fasting conference in the mountains until Friday. Thusly, Dan In Norway will be a bit quiet. But feel free to have international kebab discussions among yourselves.

Monday, 31 October, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do crack me up Dan, absoluely hilarius, anyhow I am going to see Athlete tomorrow, should be good :D

Monday, 31 October, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

^ That was me btw but the name thing didn't show up.

Monday, 31 October, 2005  
Blogger Tim Lovell said...

Madness. I know you wont read this until Thursday, but, as the esteemed Sam Lovell has pointed out, he and I are going to the Athlete gig at Hammersmith tonight. I was doing a bit of research in to who will be supporting them, and its some Irish bird, and guess what? A dude from Burger land or wherever it is you're living. His band name is Magnet, but his real name is Even Johansen.

I'll tell you tomrrow if he's any good.

Tuesday, 01 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey fella,

Vikki here. I'm actually only wanting to draw your attention to another comment I've made on a rather older post (re. potato peeling). I thought you were more likely to see this, esp. as my wonderful man has this very day posted a comment here...

I'm loving the blog - first time on it. Have to say your wit does exceed average levels.

Ki and Trev's wedding was awesome btw, very beautiful.

And thanks for the comment on my supposed blog, as you could prob tell I did not create it! Watch this space...

Say hey to Chris and Jen this wknd for me.

Tuesday, 01 November, 2005  
Blogger Jon said...

Just noticed the 'back to the future' quote in your profile. What a boss film.

Marty: Are you telling me that this sucker is nuclear?
Doc: No, no, no. This sucker's electrical, but I need a nuclear reaction to generate the 1.21 jigawatts of electricity I need.

Jigawatts? brilliant!

Saturday, 05 November, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

Glad you like the post, Sam. How were Athlete? I've only heard one magnet song, a cover of Dylan's "Lay, Lady, Lay" they used to play a lot on Xfm (why does Bob Dylan feature so heavily in my life at the moment?) and I quite liked it. So he might be alright.

Was he any good, Tim?

Welcome, Vikki. Certainly, you are most welcome if you continue to compliment the board in such a manner. You may even find your words in the Hall of International Acclaim... Glad to hear that the wedding was a good one. And I must say, I'm not unimpressed by your potato skills - I certainly haven't mastered it yet but feel that I'm improving with every spud. Sadly, the Oranges are back in the UK now but if I've got your email address right, then Jen should be within typing distance by now.

Lucie Matthews seems to think this valuable ministry journal is a message board.

Saturday, 05 November, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

Marty: Wait a minute, Doc, are you trying to tell me that my mother has got the hots for me?
Doc: Precisely.
Marty: Whoa, this is heavy.
Doc: There's that word again; "heavy". Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?

Could be the best film ever, Jon.

Saturday, 05 November, 2005  
Blogger Tim Lovell said...

Surely its all about the simple but elegant "great scott!"

Sunday, 06 November, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home