Sunday, November 06, 2005

Learning

The more time a person spends in Norway, the more they will have the realisation of just how hard the average local is. Norwegians are constantly hunting, cross-country skiing, chopping wood and batting not one eyelid at the prospect of running up a mountain. When Martin, the twelve-year-old of the Dalseth family, was skiing two years ago, he found his path was blocked by a hapless young girl. He had two possible options and he chose the honourable, hard route - into a tree. Miriam, who drums for the youth worship group, has to wear glasses ever since the blunt scout knife she pulled out of a piece of bark found it's way into her right eye. She did not cry (well, not for a good hour). Every February, the scouts go on a trip - they find snow drifts, dig into them and spend the night in the holes. When the trees on the side of a mountain in Arna caught fire, all the men of the town walked up to beat it out. Martin's dad Rune, who is an auditor in the city, built most of his own house. And you should see the place.

Even his wife Anne Britt is tough. Dave and Anna Howey found this out when they came to stay at the Dalseth residence for a few days. Anne Britt asked them if they wanted to come out for a walk with her and her friend Solbjørg and they ended up spending two and a half hours ascending and descending the 500m high peak of a local mountain in driving rain. At the top, Anne Britt remembered she had to take Martin for a haircut and promptly ran back down the mountain. When I saw them next, she told me she had taken them on the "Housewife's extreme lunchtime walk". While the extremity of the trek certainly wasn't wasted on the Howeys, it was the fact that a neighbour does the same walk five times a week in the dark that impressed them the most.

It was, of course, great to see Dave and Anna and we spent yesterday walking around Bergen. We took the Fløibanen (a funicular - imagine a tram pulled by wires) up Mount Fløyen, which overlooks Bergen. At the top, as we discussed how incredible it was for a city to spread out and thrive over such a harsh area, I commented that "the harbour is probably the key." I had no idea I was uttering one of the finest puns that Fløyen will ever hear. We walked back down, being constantly passed by Norwegians running up and down the mountainside like it was the easiest thing they'd ever done. Norwegians have an affinity for mountains, which is convenient really. From Monday to Friday this week I had been up a different mountain for the annual prayer and fasting conference that my church runs in Hermon, a ski resort one kilometre above sea level.

John Håtveit, the son of Hermon's owner, makes ski films for a living. He produces amazing DVDs featuring, among other world class skiers, his brother Andreas. Visit skifilm.net to see clips of madcap ski stunts and the trailer for "Strike", his latest DVD. He kindly gave me a copy of it and it's really quite an exciting film.

At this point an important update should be made - no longer is the longest tunnel I've ever been through a pathetic 2.77km. On the way to Hermon, we smashed the old record, replacing it with the awesome new acheivement of 11.4km, that is, seven miles through a mountain. Fantastic.

There were plenty of visitors from England at Hermon - Roger and Faith, Chris and Jen, Graham and Angela Geddis, and Kjellmartin, who I roomed with. It was so good to see them and to even celebrate Chris' birthday in the most unlikely way an Orange could - by eating nothing. The series of talks about the Holy Place were absolute treasures too; almost enough to make up for the fact that I'll miss the climax of Revelation at Bible School this year.

Hermon was also the occasion of my first attempts at song lyric projection in a foreign language. I felt I performed reasonably well, although the frantic search for the songs I needed did affect me. I even had a series of dreams, each in a different foreign language that I didn't understand and was desperately trying to figure out. But it was good to do, not least because it helped me progress a bit in Norwegian.

It was probably inevitable that I would begin picking up Norwegian through doing acetates, and thanks to five days of song projection, my pronunciation of the language is greatly improved. I even know a Graham Kendrick chorus in the native tongue. Sadly though, acetates are not enough. I imagine that, along with grammar, my vocabulary would develop poorly. It's all very well knowing the Norwegian for "atonement" but not if you can't work out which is the men's toilet. So tomorrow I am starting my Norwegian language course at Nygård skole in Bergen. It looks like it's going to be intense - half eight until noon, five days a week, for four weeks. Seventy hours of lessons will hopefully get me to somewhere approaching fluency but please pray that I'll take to the lessons well; I'm finding communication to be awkward at times.

Whenever I send texts to the youth that don't speak so much English I try to throw together some Norwegian using the books I've got. Of course, it often comes out like an idiot toddler might sound, but my meaning is usually communicated. Once though, I was made a mockery of by careless use of predictive texting. Sending a message to John Håvard, I meant to write, "Snakker jeg så dårlig norsk?" This is a question from my reliable Norwegian phrase book, translating as, "Do I speak that bad in Norwegian?" But one inadequate press of the 5 key left the predictive text to come up with, "Smaker jeg så dålig norsk?" Tragically, this small change twists the sentence into, "Do I taste that bad in Norwegian?" Not only a surreal question, but one that I certainly didn't have the desire to ask. John Håvard has coped with the ordeal tremendously though, so no harm done.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan, thought it was about time you got a comment on your momentous post. It was such a pleasure to see you! Thanks for being a great host. I've got some cool pictures - will send some smaller versions to you via email. A particularly good one of us at the top of the 500m mountain in the rain! :-)
To everyone else: we can happily report that Dan is being very well looked after by the nicest family you've met. Including getting all his meals cooked for him!

Wednesday, 09 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daniel Daniel Daniel...
What a post! I think it's a good idea you get stuck into the primary learnings of the language before you learn all the Jesus jargon. You don't want to find yourself in the wrong toilet! Though I have to say I'm with you on the OHP learning. My greatest vocab increase must have been from OHP song words, whilst in France - I now know words I didn't even know existed in English from those gems!

Glad the guy you texted doesn't need counselling, life skill proposal: always read thru texts.

Keep up the good work fella, you're great!

Btw... Hey Lucy! take advantage of an already existing link I say. Hope you're doing great and I'm glad Arizona didn't drop any trees on you - did you visit the Canyon?

Wednesday, 09 November, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

Dave, I hope you got my text. I got Anne Britt to check it AFTER I sent it and she was happy to say that the Norwegian is 100% correct. Awlraight...

Vikki, I learned all of my english from overhead projectors too. I was raised in the temple, daily changing the acetates and alphabetising the songs... But I'll tell you what - Norwegian is a pretty good language to learn. It's taking a while to adapt to the different structures and new sounds (they've got NINE vowels!) but after that initial breakthrough you can steam ahead - verbs take the same form for all persons! Eg, the verb 'to be' goes like this:

Jeg ar
Du ar
Han/Hun ar
Vi ar
Dere ar
De ar

I can't believe my luck! Thanks for the tip about texting by the way...

Wednesday, 09 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'I love the blog.' If that is what it takes to get into Dan's hall of fame then there it is. i do of course love the blog.

Wednesday, 09 November, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

That's all it takes.

Wednesday, 09 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan, I'm still struggling to get Google to translate your Norwegian text! :-)

By the way - I've put some photos up, see howeys.hollosite.com.

Dave

Thursday, 10 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a nice picture on the front page! I like the blogg. See you tomorrow!

Thursday, 10 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sycophantic! I don't know the meaning of that word! seriously. I've still got that mind numbing 'norweigan europarty mix' (a gift courtesy of LeCoque enterprises) banging about in Bow if you needs it Daniel.

Thursday, 10 November, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

Thanks for the legendary pictures Dave, as you can see I'm already employing them and I'll probably put some kind of link in a post over the weekend. I don't know what's up with google; the text was confirmed as 100% accurate and, to quote Anne Britt, "kjempeflott".

Good to see you, Joe. I think my favourite bit of strike is when some Norwegian skis down a bare mountain, causes an avalanche and narrowly escapes with his life. There's been no CD from Dave. Perhaps I should pick it up at Christmas...

Welcome, too, to Anita. Glad you like my blog. Rest assured, both you and Joe will have your comments on the front page. Hope you found some bargins at Øranye (if that's how you spell it...)

Stephen, I would hate to deprive you of A-ha, so I'll just claim my great prize when I'm in England for Christmas. The Life Aquatic ringtone (if it's the tune I think it is) is fried gold.

Friday, 11 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan, you are a jammy rat with the verbs! Maybe I would like to learn a Scandinavian language after all. They have new appeal.

Well, gotta go now, 'coz jeg ar tired (...did I get it right, did I get it right??) and no doubt du ar busy (Impressed??) Yes, I just casually dropped that in there.

Love to you.

Monday, 14 November, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

Looking back at what I've written, I actually realise that of the two letters I had to remmber, one is a mistake: it should be jeg er (etc)!

Now I've corrected that you're back on track to being trilingual. I believe the threshold of fluency is being able to hold a conversation of two full sentences EACH with a six year old, which I achieved yesterday.

Tuesday, 15 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, jeg er a little annoyed that my great Norweigan teacher, in whom I had utmost trust, taught me wrong! As I'd been so proud of my first efforts to get to grips with the language (ie the last comment I made). Nevermind, tomorrow is another day...

Jeg er leaving now. x

P.S. talking with kids is actually a lot harder than it sounds - they don't tend to help you like adults do, therefore you truly must have reached quite a landmark after all. Congrats!

Thursday, 17 November, 2005  
Blogger Dan said...

The blind leading the blind... sorry. I've also been alerted to a different error in some Norwegian I used in a post - duly corrected.

The Norwegian kids love me now; especially this Lars Andreas character - he constantly wants to either fight me or steal my phone. Weakspot: he's highly ticklish. Gutted.

Thursday, 17 November, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home